The UDF is structured as 5 precincts:
- Princes Pier
- Beacon Cove Promenade
- Waterfront Place
- Beach Street, and
- Bay and Beach Street Hub.
In the Waterfront Place precinct the UDF highlights opportunities to:
- create a more attractive arrival point for visitors
- create more public space and improving its quality
- increase the amount of green landscaping
- improve the setting of the heritage Train Station
- manage traffic demand and passenger ship queuing
- reduce pedestrian and cyclist conflicts.
Public realm concepts include proposals for:
- A newly created ‘Port Plaza’ adjacent to the existing Foodstore building to book end the Waterfront Place space. This would be substantially larger than the existing space and provide an arrival space that could be used for performance.
- Rationalisation of the Station Pier car parking arrangement to increase pedestrian widths on east and west sides. This could include a possible arbour and path for pedestrians to the tram stop along the western edge. The eastern path would be associated with new native plantings in a contemporary landscape approach.
- Flexible design of the car parking spaces to include flexibility for additional queuing lanes on cruise ship days, space for markets and pedestrians on weekends, or regular car parking.
- Changes to the truck access arrangements at the TT-line freight yard to improve safety and pedestrian amenity.
- Proposed queuing lane along Beach Street and modifications to the roundabout.